Sunday, May 18, 2008

The day before tryouts!

I wish kids would understand that you can't learn skills that take years to learn in a one hour session the day before tryouts. I did about 5 hours of privates today and the majority of them were great. One girl I worked with for the first time today and it makes me upset b/c if I would have worked with her for a while she would be much better than she is. She takes correction well and made progress during the hour. I feel like she'll at least make the JV team. Better than nothing. She needs the year to grow. I even offer a technique class called Break It Down. Not sure why she didn't sign up for that. I will make sure to put the word out in full force next year.

Here's a little advice if you are trying out for a dance team:

1. Condition (you can't be out of shape)
2. Stretch daily
3. Know the team you are trying out for. If they have clinics GO! If they dance at games GO!
4. Take a dance class. Don't try out for a dance team if you CAN'T DANCE!
5. Be willing to commit fully to the team.
6. Keep your grades up or you most likely won't make it. School comes first.
7. Know what to wear to tryouts. Don't come in character shoes if the team never wears character shoes.

That's all for now. I just want to make the audition process a little easier :)